pole rigs

Get tips and reviews on all types of tackle

Moderator: Moderators

pole rigs

Postby big matt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:50 pm

just a little question for ye's....when im making my pole rigs and im fishing water 10ft deep wat lent of line wud u's recommend for the rig...wats the rule of tumb when it comes 2 making a rig for any givn depth of water.....
STOP THE NEEDLESS SLAUGHTER...CATCH AN RELEASE
if there's no fishing in heaven im not going
big matt

Have thanks: 817 times

Advertisement

Re: pole rigs

Postby Marcin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 am

Matt, It is very easy - it always will be depth of your swim + extra line between the float and the tip. About this extra line - you want to keep it shorter then longer, as shorter line will give you quicker response to baits. You will be able to strike quicker. Also your rig will be constantly in the range of your feed. You don't want to keep it too short though to prevent tangles when shipping out with floats twisted around the tip. So 35-45cm should be spot on. This is different story though when there is very windy. With such a short line between float and tip your float would get dragged all over the swim with each gust. It is better then to keep longer line, up to 100cm and put one or two small shots above the float. Will help you keep it steady.

One other thing to consider is that you want to keep the entire rig length handy so you can reach it when putting maggots on :)

Only exception to above is when you want to fish mid water or up in the water - then the rigs are shorter, although rules about float to tip line is still the same.

For this message the author Marcin has received thanks: 4
big matt, craicy, Derek, karl
Marcin

Have thanks: 353 times

Advertisement

Postby big matt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

cheers marcin :D ...great info there...i will be very rusty at the pole fishing...i havnt fish the pole for over 20 years so any tips about pole fishing wud be great ;) .........
big matt

Advertisement

Postby Abramis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 am

Sad day Matt :lol: :lol:

I remember sayin to you a long time ago you were turning to the dark side and you said "never".

You've definitely gone now......

You'll be wearing gear with bright red and green next....
Abramis

Have thanks: 250 times

Advertisement

Postby big matt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 am

Abramis wrote:Sad day Matt :lol: :lol:

I remember sayin to you a long time ago you were turning to the dark side and you said "never".

You've definitely gone now......

You'll be wearing gear with bright red and green next....

the only sad thing is how sh'te the carp scene is in ire...no point fishing for runts or ghosts :roll: ....
wearing red an green well dat will defo never happen...plain green or camo all the way :mrgreen: ....
big matt

Advertisement

Postby scullier » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 am

Your next Fin ...don't say your not tempted..
scullier

Have thanks: 578 times

Advertisement

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 am

big matt wrote:wearing red an green well dat will defo never happen...plain green or camo all the way :mrgreen: ....

:o What would Gok do with you? :roll:

:lol: :lol:
Derek

Have thanks: 195 times

Advertisement

Postby big matt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: D......

now i want 2 ask another question...when ur setting up a pole wit a laccy how many sections do u put it tru :?: ....
big matt

Advertisement

Postby DavidW » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 pm

big matt wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: D......

now i want 2 ask another question...when ur setting up a pole wit a laccy how many sections do u put it tru :?: ....

Top two generally dude ..
Check out Irelands Coarse Fishing on Twitter or Facebook for pictures and updates from the bank.

ICF hoodies, T-shirt, Hat's etc available to order now !!!
DavidW

Have thanks: 1162 times

Advertisement

Postby big matt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:20 pm

cheers david ;) ..........
big matt

Advertisement

Postby bud.c » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 pm

[quote="big matt"]just a little question for ye's....when im making my pole rigs [
may the lord have mercy on my soul,words i thought id never hear ;) ,good to see
your passion rekindled and the best of luck to you 8-)
catch and release today so that our childern may catch tomorrow.

For this message the author bud.c has received thanks:
big matt
bud.c

Have thanks: 237 times

Advertisement

Postby big matt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 am

bud.c wrote:
big matt wrote:just a little question for ye's....when im making my pole rigs [
may the lord have mercy on my soul,words i thought id never hear ;) ,good to see
your passion rekindled and the best of luck to you 8-)

well tony...the old mojo is back but not for carping....i just find it far 2 stressfull.....i want 2 enjoy my fishing so ill be sticking 2 coarse fishing...now if i cud get rid of the ill health i wud be on the pig's back ;) .....
big matt

Advertisement

Postby leighm » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 pm

big matt wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: D......

Hi Matt

I dont mean to disagree with Dave here but i have had alot of time on my hands so have been experimenting, and there are so many situations that differ but i'll try and give a few tips that i have picked up that may help, i will base this on 'Solid' elastics,

size 1-3 through top 1 (winter canal)
4-6 through top 2 ( general roach and Skimmers)
8-20 through top 3 ( large fish to Zoo creatures)

this is a general chart i picked out of 'Pole Fishing Magazine' but i have found that sometimes if you run No6 through a top 3 it makes a huge difference if your bumping the fish on shipping back, if your on skimmers too the hook seems to hold a little better too, then on the other hand when fishing is fast i'd have a No6 through just the tip section, maybe on 30cm of elastic, (use braid down to the bung), this way you can swing in fish to about 10'oz if the fella next to you is baggin ( in a match) i have found for natural waters using a 1-1.5g float, a Preston Fluro Slip in a No6 is perfect balance..

For carping all my elastics are Hydro through top 3, id rather play a fish for an extra minute than lose it, also having a longer length doesnt pull the fish straight to the top creating noise as it splashes on shipping back, the light sides elastics BLUE and Grey have pulla kits and the black and red just standard :-)

Hope this helps

Leigh
if you have to think, your too late...

For this message the author leighm has received thanks: 4
big matt, DavidW, fourmations, KildareJon
leighm

Have thanks: 113 times

Advertisement

Postby Marcin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

Leigh,

How big is the difference between having light elastics (4-6) in your top two versus top three? I have all mines in top two and wondering whether it is worth extending it to top 3?
Marcin

Advertisement

Postby leighm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Marcin

It becomes a lot softer through a top 3, so if your fishing in deep water after your 'Strike' you have a nice soft cushion for you fish to pull against while you ship right back to the section you break down too, as you know if you bump your roller or your hands get sticky your pole can sometime become 'Unsmooth' and any jerk/knock can result in a lost fish..i feel the extra section or elastic really does compenstate for this.. another reason i would put a 6 through top 3 is when i fish cloonahee, you can be bagging roach and skimmers all day then all of a sudden you'll hook a massive hybrid or big tench and that little extra give you more contol and confidence.

I now use Pink Hydro through top 3 for general match fishing, say on a 1g rig, through top 2 on a 1.5g rig, and a 2g through a top 1 section ( use braid down to bung) for bagging, exact same floats line etc etc, just differ your laccys for the speed your getting the fish in, i'd probably use a double bulk on the 2g as it mean your in a fish race :-) LOVE IT :twisted:

For this message the author leighm has received thanks:
Marcin
leighm

Advertisement

Postby Marcin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 am

ok, you've convinced me :D and I actually was suffering some fish bumping even on elastic no 5, so that should help.

How would you compare pink hydro to solid? what number it was equivalent to? I was thinking about switching to pink hydro myself, but I felt it was stronger than solid elastics I am using for most of my match fishing, which is 4 and 5. I thought it was good idea with that pink at the beginning, but then felt like it was more than 4-5 and also, you cannot see anyone using it for roach and skimmers when reading UK magazines so I let it go...
Marcin

Advertisement

Postby hondabandit » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 am

marcin PINK ELASTIC cant really see me using that,i thought it was joop where men love pink!! :) :)
hondabandit

Have thanks: 69 times

Advertisement

Postby Johnboy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 am

Marcin, Pink hydro is rated at 4-6. On light tension it'd be a no.4 and when it powers up, the elastic compresses around the fluid and its like a no.6. It has that little bit more stretch while it powers up but as long as you can manoeuvre quick enough it'd be fine.

Have thanks: 301 times

Advertisement

Postby leighm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:51 pm

I'll bring the hydro top kits on Sunday, pink is good for small roach and that if your on a heavy enough rig, 1g plus. It's soft soft enough to not bump off yet has a quick retraction rate to
Get the fish in to the net :-) stick a pulla kit in and they'll comebin even faster ;-)
leighm

Advertisement

Postby Marcin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

that's great Leigh, will have a look then, but don't go there on Sunday, as the match is tomorrow :!: :!: Can't wait to see you bagging up those carp on pink elastic :mrgreen:

hondabandit wrote:marcin PINK ELASTIC cant really see me using that,i thought it was joop where men love pink!! :) :)

it will match my polo tshirt so no worries man ;) and be gentle to them carp tomorrow, will you?

Johnboy wrote:Marcin, Pink hydro is rated at 4-6. On light tension it'd be a no.4 and when it powers up, the elastic compresses around the fluid and its like a no.6. It has that little bit more stretch while it powers up but as long as you can manoeuvre quick enough it'd be fine.

Yeap, that's what Daiwa says, but I cannot see they quite managed to get that. For me it is more like 6 than 4, and its defo thicker than solid. I thought 4 is softer than pink, so I though it could be too strong for small roach... For example grey is rated 10-14 and next up black 12-16, but they actually work more like 10 against 16 - big difference.
Marcin

Advertisement

Postby leighm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi Marcin,

We may have our wires crossed a little, i'm fishing the FTI match on toomans on sunday, its fishing well at the min, we fished Monday night, Tony Kersley had 26lb, Tony Herbert 22lb, Robert Howgate 15lb, Rory Dunne 14lb, then there was a few 13's an 11 a 10 all in 3hrs then there was what i caught....... :-( finished last by along shot, i tried fishing chopped worm for 3 hours but it really let me down ... lol

I'm fishing in Kilishandra most of next week and then Garadice in between, if you live anywhere near there i'll happily get my kits out for you to pull on.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just rang Enda to double check... you had me worried....

Leigh
leighm

Advertisement

Postby Marcin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 pm

leighm wrote:I just rang Enda to double check... you had me worried....

Leigh

LOL, sorry :D I thought you're joining us at oaklands tomorrow. Are you fishing for living Leigh? Have you any time for work at all? :lol:

I'm based in Dublin, so I think I need to trust you and buy that pink elastic ;) Some good news about toomans - any big fish caught last match?
Marcin

Advertisement

Postby leighm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 pm

I must come and give Oaklands a try sometime, is that the place near Waterford ??

The biggest caught on monday was about 6lb, i watched Robert lose 3 proper lumps nothing he could do they just ran and he couldn't stop them, with this little bit of a rise in temp i think the weekend should fish well...

If you decide to go pink ( i got stick for this on my site too, till they tried it :P ) buy 2 spools, for silvers i run 1 through top 3, then 1 through top 2 and 1 through top 1, and let me know how you get on :-)

tight lines

Leigh
leighm

Advertisement

Return to Talk Tackle